FAIRLAWN REAL ESTATE
Full Time Painting Assistant
Fairlawn Real Estate is a dynamic real estate firm that specializes in acquiring, renovating, developing and managing real estate projects in Central Illinois. Based in Champaign, Illinois, the Fairlawn team member will be responsible for supporting renovation and construction projects as well as light maintenance tasks across a wide range of property types. The position offers an exciting opportunity to join a growth-oriented organization with a genuinely enjoyable work environment.
This is skilled work participating in painting activities including buildings, equipment, and other property in accordance with blueprints, sketches and verbal instructions. Responsible for mixing, matching, and applying paint to various surfaces, completing touchups, and coordinating large painting projects.
Painting Assistant Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist Painting Foreman with various painting activities.
- Apply paint to surfaces including canvas, walls, floors, doors, and cabinets.
- Mix, match, and apply paint, varnish, shellac, enamel, and other finishes.
- Scrape, sandpaper, prime, or seal surfaces prior to painting.
- Clean walls to ensure proper adherence.
- Cover surfaces with cloth or plastic to ensure protection.
- Calculate amounts of required materials and estimate costs.
- Fill cracks, holes, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
- Erect scaffolding, movable and immovable staging and various rigging to gain access to difficult areas; moves furniture and equipment as necessary.
- Remove fixtures such as pictures, doorknobs, lamps, and electric switch covers prior to painting.
- Select and buy paint from vendors.
- Apply several coats according to paint directions.
- Tape off areas when needed.
- Apply touchups or second coats.
- Remove paint splatters when finished.
- Clean up all equipment, including brushes and spray guns.
- Utilize spray guns for large jobs.
- Work on ladders to reach high ceilings or walls
- Directly handle a wide range of maintenance repairs including plumbing, appliances, electrical, roofing inspection/minor roof damage; outsource tasks to external vendors as necessary
- Performs related work as required.
Painting Assistant Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, materials, methods, and equipment of the painting trade necessary to execute a top-level painting project.
- Must be able to hang and finish drywall to a completed level.
- Considerable knowledge of the qualities and adaptabilities of various surfacing materials, of the methods or preparing surfaces for finishing, of the proper methods of mixing paints to obtain desired colors and qualities, and of the weather and wear resistance qualities of paints and other finishing materials.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Ability to successfully manage hazardous waste satellite facility. Considerable knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Ability to successfully administer various large and small contacts.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with other employees.
- Skilled in applying paints and other finishes by brush and spray equipment, in mixing paints, and in matching and blending colors.
Painting Assistant Education Requirements:
- High School diploma or GED
- 1-2 years of related experience as a painter and/or as a painting assistant
Painting Assistant - Additional Requirements:
- Valid driver’s license and dependable vehicle.
- Availability to be on call and assist in after-hours emergency situations
- Availability to work longer hours and weekends during market turnover in July and August (specific dates vary from year to year)
- Must be able to perform the physical functions of the position, not limited to: ability to walk properties, ability to lift 80-100lbs on a regular basis
- Must be willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local laws & regulations